(See regulation (4) and (5))
1. Handling of surplus food by the food business operator. -
1) Surplus foods that are to be handed over to food distribution organisation shall be safe and segregated in to perishable and non-perishable.
2) The segregated food shall be packed appropriately so as to avoid contamination during handling and storage.
3) Perishable and non-perishable surplus food shall be stored in hygienic condition at optimum temperature to ensure their safety.
4) Surplus food shall not be kept with any waste material or products.
5) The Food Donor shall give an advance notice to the Food Distribution Organisation so as to ensure a timely distribution and consumption of the food within its shelf life.
2. Handling and distribution of surplus food by the Food Distribution Organisation. -
1) Surplus food shall be picked up from the food business operator’s facility and packed in clean and covered containers. Such food containers shall have the required date marking such as pick-up date and the use by date of food.
2) Surplus food shall be stored and transported in appropriate hygienic condition at appropriate optimum temperature suitable for perishable and non-perishable food separately. Insulated containers and ice packs, if necessary, may be used to maintain food temperature during handling and transportation.
3) Transporting vehicle shall be cleaned on a regular basis and shall not be used for purposes other than delivering food.
4) Surplus food shall be distributed or served to the needy before the expiry of surplus food or until food is fit for human consumption, as the case may be.
5) Food that is not fit for human consumption shall be put in a container clearly marked as “Food for Disposal”.
6) Food shall be stored off the floor and away from walls and non-food items. storage area, including the floor, pallets and shelves shall be cleaned regularly.
7) Where refrigerator is used for storage of surplus food, these shall be cleaned at least once a week to remove stains, ice particles and food particles. The temperature in the refrigerator shall be maintained below 7oC.
8) Doors, windows and roofs of storage area shall be well sealed to prevent pest entry and a pest control program shall be in place for such areas.
9) All employees or volunteers that work with distribution organisation and come in direct contact with food shall keep their finger nails trimmed and shall wear clean outer garments and wash their hands before starting work, and as often as necessary, especially after eating handling or using the washroom, etc.
10) Avoid eating food, drinking beverages, or using tobacco in any form in areas where food is exposed, or in areas used for washing equipment or utensils shall be avoided.
11) No person shall come in contact with food during any illness that is communicable through food. Cuts, boils and wounds shall be covered.
12) All employees or volunteers that work with distribution organisations and come in direct contact with food shall have training in health and personal hygiene.