Food Safety Management Systems in Places of Worship
A place of worship is a specially designed structure or consecrated space where individuals or a group of people such as a congregation come to perform acts of devotion, veneration, or religious study. Hence, ensuring food safety in these places is a major component and helps to aid in the health of thousands of the devotees who are visiting the temple.
FSSAI ensures hygienic preparation and packaging of Prasad and that of the food served in such Places of Worship.
It also makes sure that that authorities understand the need of food safety and hygiene, personal hygiene, cleaning disinfecting and handling waste.
Objectives of the program are
- Ensure hygienic preparation and packaging of Prasad and/or food served in Places of Worship
- Ensure the importance and need of food safety and hygiene,personal hygiene, cleaning disinfecting and handling waste.
- To generate awareness about the sanitary and hygiene requirements as stipulated in Part V of Schedule 4 Food Safety Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011.
- Ensure packaging and Labelling of Prasad in compliance with FSS (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011.
- To deliberate on the Food safety management system (FSMS) implementation for the Prasad and the food served at major places of worship
- To understand the existing Food Hygiene and Safety practices in Places of Worship.
- To develop an action plan for FSMS implementation in consultation with the stakeholders.
- To roll out FSMS in Places of Worship pan India.